Monday, January 9, 2012

Knowing and Caring

The field of Education probably has more meaningful sayings and quotations than just about any other area of human endeavor. "Everything I ever learned worth learning I learned in kindergarten" is one that has been around for years while the "Give me a fish and I will eat for a day; teach me to fish and I will eat for a lifetime" is another.

But sometimes you come across one that is so startling in its simplicity and so wonderfully inspirational that it just makes you stop and think; and then think some more. I recently visited on of the local elementary school websites and there on the Principal's page was "Children don't care what you know until they know you care". I've been unable to find the source of this pearl of wisdom but it is true no matter what level or age the student is.

The disposition of caring  is, perhaps, more true today than ever for those engaged in the art of teaching college students. In a world in which the future is less certain than it has been there is now a greater need to care about the students we work with on a daily basis. As they grapple with the demands of balancing their course work, jobs, relationships, and aspirations, we must show that we care about them as learners, academics, and most of all as individuals.

I have always found St. Michael's College to be a truly caring place to work where every individual is a valued and appreciated member of the community.
         

No comments:

Post a Comment